California Bills AB2756 & AB2926
I wanted to post some information regarding the most recent CA bills, AB2756 and AB2926, introduced by Assemblywoman Eggman. AB2756 seeks to single out homeschoolers by listing the nature of a school on the private school affidavit. AB2926 aims to impose stricter rules for homeschooling families. Please read AB2756 and AB2926 to form your own opinion before potentially being influenced by mine.
In light of the Turpin family tragedy, homeschooling in California has been under the microscope. If you are unfamiliar with the story, the Turpins kept their 13 children locked up and malnourished in their Perris, CA home. They claimed to have homeschooled their children. Neighbors didn’t see much of the children, and apparently didn’t think it was odd. 13 children? Not odd?
Everyone loves to delight in the saying “It takes a village.” Although it’s obvious that these parents failed their children, neighbors were the village that failed these kids. No one spoke up because no one wanted to or cared enough to get involved. And that is the problem, not homeschooling.
As tragic as the Turpin story is and others like it, California’s failing educational system is sensationalizing these headlines to force families to ‘fall in line’ in order to receive more funds for their schools. For our family, the basis of our homeschool has always been to create an environment for our children to enjoy learning, be inspired by it, and be able to choose their passions and run with them.
AB2926 aims to subject homeschooling families to the below:
- Consistent home visits to inspect homes for safety standards
- I have a trampoline in my backyard that my children have grown up utilizing for their acrobatic skills. For some, this may seem like a safety issue. Who gets to decide these so-called safety standards?
- Their assumption that child abuse happens more regularly in homeschools is based on horror stories. In my opinion, it’s far more dangerous for a child suffering from abuse to be able to hide it from their peers at school – it only perpetuates the sick cycle.
- Additional, specific curriculum standards
- We are a Christian family, and we try to intertwine our faith in all aspects of our lives. Some of our subjects are learned from a faith and biblical perspective. Imposing “additional, specific curriculum standards” is vague and would likely take away my family’s right to practicing our religion
- Credentialed teachers teaching their students
- There is no point to having a credentialed teacher vs. a non credentialed teacher in a homeschool. We love our children, we want to inspire them, we want what is best for them. We want to challenge them and teach them to think critically and logically at their own pace – no teaching credential can take the place of that. Lastly, a teaching credential is not necessary, given that homeschoolers have typically scored higher on college entrance exams than non-homeschoolers
- Getting a credential would also assume that I have fit the standard of teaching the way that California wants me to. I don’t want to teach like a California school teacher – that is why I homeschool. So why would I want to pass their standard, when I have my own?
AB2926 will just create more unnecessary legislation and larger state government. And, I don’t know if you’ve heard or not, but California is broke, so a larger state government would only make living in California more expensive through taxation. Many homeschooling families only have one source of income, so passing this would force them to end homeschooling altogether.
Public schools have their own set of problems too. While legislation wants to impose stricter rules on homeschools to get them to become more like public schools, how about they try to fix their own problems first? Massive high school drop out rates, bullying, drugs, mass shootings, teacher-student sexual relations, and teen suicides are all issues that are of greater importance than nitpicking on a smaller community.
If you feel as I do, please call Assemblywoman Eggman’s office to complain and sign the petition here to preserve homeschooling in California.
I go to see day-to-day a few sites and blogs to read articles, however this web site provides feature based posts. Pansie Calvin Dyche
Woh Everyone loves you , bookmarked ! My partner and i take issue in your last point. Gipsy Inigo Brandise
Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you penning this article plus the rest of the site is also very good. Randy Culley Queri
Great ideas. And useful for schools new to inclusion. Mufi Raphael Amie
Hi, I do think your site could be having web browser compatibility problems. Janith Adan Diaz
I am so grateful for your article post. Really looking forward to read more. Cool. Sherrie Hewett Glasgo
This post is genuinely a nice one it assists new web users, who are wishing for blogging. Tarra Gabby Lightman
The info talked about in the post are several of the ideal readily available. Blinni Samuele Jennings
I was reading through some of your blog posts on this internet site and I conceive this internet site is really instructive! Keep on putting up. Anetta Teodoor Amadeo
The dormancy period is literally a difficult time which one needs grace to endure for joy always comes in the morning. Stoddard Hercules Hak
Copyright 2018 365bandarqq Online All rights reserved. Anet Dionysus Elwood
Taxi moto line
128 Rue la Boétie
+33 6 51 612 712
Taxi moto paris
It’s enormous that you are getting thoughts from this
piece of writing as well as from our dialogue made
at this time.
These are really fantastic ideas in concerning blogging. Kass Leslie Pasahow
I learn something new and challenging on blogs I stumbleupon everyday. Nettie West Geralda
yenilmezler 3 izle
Hi, its good post concerning media print, we all understand media is a impressive source of facts. Marquita Bond Kimmie
I like this post, enjoyed this one thanks for posting . Ardelis Vladimir Nally
That is really interesting, You are a very professional blogger.
I have joined your feed and look forward to looking for more of your fantastic post.
Additionally, I’ve shared your site in my social networks
Wow that was unusual. I just wrote an extremely long
comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t appear.
Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again. Anyways, just wanted to say excellent
My brother recommended I might like this web site. Saidee Cyril Torruella
Does your website have a contact page? I’m having trouble
locating it but, I’d like to send you an e-mail. I’ve got some recommendations for your blog you might be interested in hearing.
Either way, great website and I look forward to seeing it
expand over time.
You have brought up a very excellent details , thankyou for the post. Laure Thedric Valdas
Amen! Could you please pray for me to have wisdom today and to remember to practice patience? Thanks to God who hears our prayers. Mei Beniamino Sudhir
Es posible saber el costo de una RM de columna con el descuento del 25% que mencionan Binni Thorndike Fryd
Hi Courtney, I love this. Can you add me to the list please x Debi Dave Shimberg
I blog quite often and I genuinely thank you for your content. The article has really peaked my interest. I am going to bookmark your website and keep checking for new details about once per week. I subscribed to your Feed too. Kayla Tamas Kiyohara